Geoff,

Possibly unrelated, but I've had an experience getting Brooklyn to build
recently (haven't tried for many months!)

There's a Dockerfile which spins up a container with all the required
dependencies for a *build* - I'm not sure if it has everything required for
a *release* build though.

However I prefer to avoid Docker and just build on my workstation - I have
a working build without tests but not with tests so consider this a work in
progress, but I believe these are the OS packages required to do a build.
Do you have all of these installed?

golang
maven
procps
libpng-devel (CentOS/RHEL) / libpng-dev (Ubuntu/Debian)
make
automake
autoconf
libtool
pkgconfig
nasm
gcc
rpm-build (CentOS/RHEL) / rpm (Ubuntu/Debian)
dpkg (CentOS/RHEL)

HTH

Richard.