I created a patch so that

repositories.remote << { :url => 'https://a.secure.repo/maven2', :username => 'blah', :password => 'blah' }

will work for http basic auth. When an artifact is downloaded, the auth information is passed to the HTTP transport.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BUILDR-577

There might be an issue with the patch, since it changes the format of repositories.remote. Instead of just being a String, it is stored as a hash {:url => URI} or with optional auth {:url => URI, :username => String, :password => String}. How horrible is this for backwards compatibility?

thanks,
Michael