I've now successfully added support for Kawa compilation using buildr.

I've modelled the code on the existing Scala compilation support, basically
added a kawa.rb and kawa/compiler.rb, with minor modifications to
core/{compile,generate,run}.rb . Together with a proper buildfile I am now
able to compile, package, install and run mixed language programs
(java+scheme) on Android, although there is no Android specific code in the
buildr contributions (only in the local buildfile), so it should support
"generic Kawa" (non-Android) programs as well. I have not yet added support
for unit testing or doc generation with kawa, but that should be fairly
easy if needed.

I wouldn't mind contributing this code, but I am somewhat at a loss on how
to do this. Ideally, I would have forked the public Github repo, but that
looks stale, so it's obviously not that easy. Considering my kawa support
is only a few days old, the kawa support should also be considered "alpha"
quality, and there will probably be frequent fixes in the near future.

Anyway, I'm not sure if or how I should contribute, or if I should just
make a Github repo for myself and others (I'm sure there aren't that many
yet..) containing the modifications. I guess that would mean creating yet
another repo for Buildr; I do not want to do that if you guys have any
plans of reviving the old "official" Github clone; I would much rather
clone that one than tracking the whole source tree myself.

And finally, I've tried doing this once for Gradle already, then for Maven,
without succeding (got lost in all kind of weird abstractions and messy
code). Even though I've never seen a Ruby program before doing this, at
least both the code and structure seems clean enough that adding support
was quite easy. So I guess that's a big kudos for the buildr team for
creating something that is easy to work with!

Thanks,

Marius Kjeldahl