Since Calcite should become a widely used library (smile) I think it would be
prudent to shade Guava and protobuf if Calcite depends on them. Then you will
play very nicely indeed on the classpath no matter what versions are required
by calling code.

Jacques - Good lord. Let me see about shading HBase use of Guava, or
eliminating it. Unfortunately that will be no help in the short term. Related,
our Stack is wrestling with shading protobuf already, and is neck deep in the
Swamp of Classloading at the moment.