It sounds like a good fit. Parse the SQL, translate to relational algebra,
apply some query transformation rules on the algebra.

If you have a few simple transformations in mind, you may be able to achieve it
without a cost model. Or, as you propose, a simple model based on cardinality.

To convert a union of conjunctive queries to a conjunction of possibly-union
queries, you would probably need a rule called UnionJoinTransposeRule that
converts

  (Union (Join X Y) (Join X Y))

into

  (Join X (Union Y Z))

or something like that, and combines it with some existing rules to push
unions. There is currently no such rule but it would not be hard to write.

Julian