Thanks, Michael!

I noticed that I forgot the link to my fork in my original message. Here is my fork if someone wants to hack on it a bit more: https://github.com/Boostport/calcite-test-dataset/tree/switch-to-docker

On 23/04/2018 9:58 PM, Michael Mior wrote:
Thanks for raising this Francis. I was hoping to find more time to spend on
this but unfortunately that hasn't happened.

1. That's a question for Christian Tzolov. I'm not too familiar with Geode.
2. You are correct that the VM contains several different database servers
with various ports exposed. I'm not sure what the situation is with
HSQLDB/H2.
3. Maven is definitely not strictly necessary although some of the
dependencies currently pull in datasets that are used for some of the DBs
before building the VM.
4.  I don't really have a strong preference either way. I'm sure someone
else can speak to why this was separated in the first place.

--
Michael Mior
mm...@uwaterloo.ca

There is currently an issue open for this in the calcite-test-dataset
repository[1], however, I would like to hear more from the wider community
regarding this.

I have created a `switch-to-docker` branch on my fork and committed a
docker-compose.yml under the docker folder, but ran into a few roadblocks
and didn't have any more time to investigate.

I am currently investigating using docker-composer to orchestrate and set
up the containers.

Questions:

1. I am not very familiar with Apache Geode. I was able to start the
server and locator using the official docker image, but there does not
appear to be anyway to import data. In the current repository, there's some
java code in `geode-standalone-cluster`. Why do/did we need to write Java
code to stand up a geode cluster? Does anyone know if there are any
standalone tools (preferably something with built binaries) that we can use
to directly ingest the JSON data?

2. From my reading of the integration test instructions[2], the
calcite-test-dataset spins up a VM with databases preloaded with data which
the main calcite repository runs tests against. HSQLDB and H2 does not have
any open ports in the VM that's spun up. How does does Calcite run tests
against HSQLDB and H2?

3. What is the role of maven in the calcite-test-dataset repository? I see
a lot of POMs in various subfolders such as mysql, postgresql, etc.
However, I am not sure what these do. If maven is used to spin up the VM,
perhaps we could remove the dependency on it and just run a `docker-compose
up` to start the network of containers.

4. Is there any interest in bringing the contents of calcite-test-dataset
directly into the Calcite repo? The repo zips up to 1.5MB, so it might not
bring to much bloat to the Calcite repo.

Francis

[1] https://github.com/vlsi/calcite-test-dataset/issues/8

[2] https://calcite.apache.org/docs/howto.html#running-integration-tests