Dear all,

My colleagues and I are completing the implementation of the first
benchmark suite for Calcite, with the expectation to have something in
place in the next 2-4 weeks, and available for testing.

The plan is to make it available for your review and testing, and then
release it

Current status is:

We have 80+ out of 99 TPC-DS queries made compatible to Calcite for
Postgres backend. (Calcite-178)

It will be compatible with most of the backends, but the queries will need
testing and validation.

We need to complete following two tasks to complete the initial benchmark
work:

1) an accurate method to measure and instrument the Calcite performance
since the time measurement for Calcite may involve overhead associated with
Avatica/JDBC.

2) fix queries that require syntax modification for Calcite syntax or to
account for some lack of support

We are not sure yet how bad the 2 part might be. It might involve some bug
patches or workarounds, which also might vary from backend to backend.

Big thanks to my R&D team members, Dr. Seung-Hwan Lim and Ashwin Vajantri
for working on this, and specially on tedious TPC-DS query syntax fixing to
make it work with Calcite.