Hi Michael and Christian,

Thanks for your replies.

Regarding (3) RelBuilder below is the query plan. I'm not sure how to
express element =(ITEM($0, 'Foo') using API.

Query Plan
0: jdbc:calcite:model=target/test-classes/mod>  explain plan for select *
from "elasticsearch_raw"."table" where _MAP['Foo'] = 'BAR';

| ElasticsearchToEnumerableConverter
  ElasticsearchFilter(condition=[=(ITEM($0, 'Foo'), 'BAR')])
    ElasticsearchTableScan(table=[[elasticsearch_raw,table]])

API
// Using RelBuilder API to construct simple ES query
// select * from "elasticsearch_raw"."table" where _MAP['Foo'] = 'BAR';
// use RexInputRef here ?
RexNode item = builder.call(SqlStdOperatorTable.ITEM, ???,
builder.literal("Foo"));
final RelNode node = builder
    .scan("elasticsearch_raw", "table")
    .filter(builder.call(SqlStdOperatorTable.EQUALS, item,
builder.literal("BAR")))
    .build();

Regards,
Andrei.