I can see why you want a Geom in Flink’s namespace. I imagine it’s mainly about
branding — it’s hard to explain to people why they’re using an interface from a
module they have not heard of — and a little about control.

You probably want to let people write UDFs that take geometries as arguments
and return them as results. We haven’t done that in Calcite yet. One of the
questions in my mind was whether we would have Java types for sub-classes of
geometry (e.g. point, line, polygon).

A concern is that Flink users will write UDFs that should really be built-in
functions. Another concern is that Flink developers will implement built-in
OpenGIS functions in Flink rather than Calcite. Adding a Flink-specific Geom
type makes it more difficult to migrate functions from Flink to Calcite.

I am fine with you making a protected method public, or whatever. But since
you're are adding a new use case — I made the method protected because I didn’t
imagine any method outside the org.apache.calcite.runtime package would call it
— let’s describe the use case and write tests for it. And while we’re at it,
let’s talk about the ‘@Experimental’ tag against the GeoFunctions class.

Julian