Unfortunately I know very little about ES so I'm not in a great position to
asses the impact of these changes. I will say that that legacy
compatibility is great, but maintaining two sets of logic is always a
challenge. A few follow up questions:

1) What's the time horizon for the current adapter no longer working with
these changes to ES?

2) Any guess how complicated it would be to maintain code paths for both
behaviours? I know this is probably really challenging to estimate, but I
really have no idea of the scope of these changes. Would it mean two
different ES adapters?

3) Do we really need compatibility with the current version of the adapter?
IMO this depends on what versions of ES we would lose support for and how
complex it would be for users of the current ES adapter to make updates for
any Calcite API changes.

Thanks for your continued work on the ES adapter Andrei!

--
Michael Mior
mm...@apache.org