If you want transformations which actually change the output of the
query, you probably just want to change the RelNode directly.
RelOptRules are expected to preserve the semantics of the query so you
shouldn't do things such as adding new fields or changing the
collation. You can still run the optimizer after you make these kinds
of changes.

--
Michael Mior
mm...@apache.org