I have been using Kotlin for a few months and really like it. It
doesn't stray too far from Java except for a few places chosen to give
maximum benefit. I think that Scala went too far, and produced a
language in which you can easily write dense, obscure programs; Kotlin
has learned from Scala's mistakes.

But I set a high bar to adopting a new framework or language. Once
code is written, it is in the project forever, and needs to be
maintained. A large majority of contributors need to be comfortable
reading, editing, and running such code.

I have regrets about allowing Mockito into Calcite (it is only used in
the Druid adapter) and JMockit into SQLLine. I am not familiar with
these frameworks, don't have time to learn, and consequently cannot
modify the tests. (I can't even figure out how to even run the
JMockit-based test in SQLLine.)

So, I'd like to hear from Calcite contributors - would you be prepared
to take the time to learn Kotlin? (If you know what is a companion
object and a receiver, I'd say you're an advanced Kotlin user.)