I think a detail that was dropped here is that this only affects a `deploy`, not a normal dev build.

Re-reading the context on CALCITE-2385 reminded me about what exactly Francis was trying to do. This shouldn't being affecting the average person, just those deploying SNAPSHOTs by hand. There may be some trickery done in Maven to work around this, but I don't have the time to look into that presently.