On a previous thread, I asked about this, as it is not just for debugging
but user-facing. It seems there is no reliable way to build a tool on top
of Calcite that gives high assurance of avoiding CannotPlanException
reaching a user.

Are other planners better for this? Beam SQL would probably consider any
options if they improve usability.

Perhaps one way to explain a CannotPlanException might be to present a set
of additional rules that would be required to reach a plan, and try to make
them somehow "reasonable" or "minimal". For example if you wanted
convention BAZ but didn't have a converter from FooSomeRel to BazSomeRel it
would be great to be able to say that. It could also be useful to highlight
rules where the structure matched but side conditions did not.

Kenn