Thanks for the summing up, Stamatis. That helps a lot, and I am convinced by
the advantages.

Also, I've re-checked the original definition[1] of the status flags CLOSED,
RESOLVED, etc. Following is what "RESOLVED" is for:

> RESOLVED: The issue is considered finished, the resolution is correct. Issues
> which are not closed can be reopened.

It seems that marking an issue as "RESOLVED" implies we have anyway provided a
resolution, no matter whether "Fixed" the resolution is, so using a "RESOLVED"
at first looks to be reasonable to me now.

Originally I wanted to debate on this because I see we (including myself ;) )
used a lot of "CLOSED"s[2] in similar cases these days, after finishing release
of version 1.19. I can see the motivation of closing them directly, say, a JIRA
contributor was pretty confident with the conclusion that the bug is
invalid/duplicated/etc., so that the issue is no need to be reopened anymore.
Should we still need RM to do a double-check in cases like this?

Besides, I also found some issues[3] that are created for quite a long time and
marked as RESOLVED but never CLOSED. I prefer to go through and try closing
them somehow after we finish this discussion.

Also I found we both have status "RESOLVED" and resolution "Resolved". Are we
able to remove the latter? That's pretty confusing.

And +1 to not having the "next" fixing version. I am not sure if we can remove
the flag from JIRA console, but I see we already locked some of "status" flags
such as "ACCEPTED", "REVIEWABLE", etc..

Hongze

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/ShowConstantsHelp.jspa
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2821?jql=project%20%3D%20CALCITE%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Closed%20AND%20resolution%20in%20(Unresolved%2C%20%22Won%27t%20Fix%22%2C%20Duplicate%2C%20Invalid%2C%20Incomplete%2C%20%22Cannot%20Reproduce%22%2C%20Later%2C%20%22Not%20A%20Problem%22%2C%20Implemented%2C%20Done%2C%20%22Auto%20Closed%22%2C%20%22Pending%20Closed%22%2C%20REMIND%2C%20Resolved%2C%20%22Not%20A%20Bug%22%2C%20Workaround%2C%20Staged%2C%20Delivered%2C%20%22Information%20Provided%22%2C%20%22Works%20for%20Me%22%2C%20%22Feedback%20Received%22%2C%20%22Won%27t%20Do%22)%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC%2C%20priority%20ASC%2C%20updated%20DESC
[3]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1209?jql=project%20%3D%20CALCITE%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Resolved%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20ASC%2C%20priority%20ASC%2C%20updated%20DESC