Many people who are interested in Avatica are not interested in Calcite. (Yes
the Board are interested in both, because they are interested in the
communities, which overlap. But users of Avatica, not so much. And if people
perceive that Avatica requires Calcite they might be less likely to adopt it.)

I think Avatica would be more discoverable if it was hosted at
https://avatica.apache.org <https://avatica.apache.org/>, rather than
https://calcite.apache.org/avatica/ <https://calcite.apache.org/avatica/>.

I think the brief mention of Avatica on Calcite’s home page is adequate.
Perhaps there should be a section on Avatica in
https://calcite.apache.org/community/ <https://calcite.apache.org/community/>.

In other words, it’s time to move Avatica a little further along its evolution
from module to sub-project to independent project.

Julian