I wonder whether it is possible to add some kind of “action handler” to the
planner engine, called, for example, when a rule has fired and is registering
the RelNode created by the rule. People can write their own action handlers to
copy hints around. Since the action handlers are the user’s code, they can
iterate faster to find a hint-propagation strategy that works in practice.

Another idea is to use VolcanoPlanner.Provenance[1]. A RelNode can find its
ancestor RelNodes, and the rules that fired to create it. So it can grab hints
from those ancestors. It does not need to copy those hints onto itself.

Julian

[1]
https://calcite.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/calcite/plan/volcano/VolcanoPlanner.Provenance.html