I never understood why this rule did not handle inner join, but Haisheng’s
analysis is plausible. (By the way, see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-892
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-892> for when the rule was
originally added.)

It’s not a good idea for rules to restrict themselves based on cost. They
should apply based on correctness. It is for the engine to decide whether the
result is more or less efficient.

So, I agree that this rule should apply to inner join as well as left and right.

Maybe the rule’s constructor would have a predicate so that people can create a
variant that only matches, say, left joins.

Julian