In the short term we should try to do our best to follow the existing
workflow.

In the medium term we shall hope that things will be easier with the
automated build of the website.

In the longer term, I would really prefer to migrate towards a solution
like the one proposed by Vladimir.
As I also mentioned in a previous email, there are many projects who
publish multiple versions of the doc and I find this very helpful.
People usually wait some time before updating their libraries to the latest
release; in this and other cases it is helpful to have a couple versions of
the doc available online.