Vladimir proposed that we convert some tests to Kotlin. The general reaction
was against the idea[1]. After receiving this feedback, he went ahead anyway[2].

I propose that we remove all Kotlin from our source code, including tests. The
benefits of being a hybrid Java+Kotlin project do not outweigh the negatives.
We should go back to being solely Java. (I would make an exception for
build.gradle.kts, because build scripts are generally in a different language.)

Vladimir clearly has a lot of enthusiasm to change the build system, coding
style, the languages we use. I tend to be more conservative (don’t fix things
that aren’t broken). Speaking personally, I find working with Vladimir
extremely stressful. Of course, a lot of the things he is removing are things
that I personally have created, so I naturally take this more personally than
most people. Still, his actions over the last few weeks have left me angry,
depressed, and burned out with the project.

Julian

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c95bc24a10952ccaaa8ac1f959bf65aec450b8bf2fa36ba99dd0df08%40%3Cdev.calcite.apache.org%3E

<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c95bc24a10952ccaaa8ac1f959bf65aec450b8bf2fa36ba99dd0df08@%3Cdev.calcite.apache.org%3E>