So far I have PR https://github.com/apache/calcite/pull/1721 that adds
verification to EnumerableTableScan constructor.

Unfortunately, we have a lot of test cases that assume the relation would
be EnumerableTableScan even
in the case test verifies logical plan only :(

That is why I added extra logging and asserts to EnumerableTableScan so it
throws an exception if someone tries to create
wrong relation.

Note: I discovered Enumerable does not support tables with struct, array,
and map fields, so I added system properties to
selectively enable/disable activating enumerable for those rowtypes.

I'm inclined to commit 1721 shortly as it is a pre-requisite for other
cost-related commits.

Vladimir