Committers, please remember that every time you accept a change, you
are writing the release notes. The commit messages will end up here:
https://calcite.apache.org/docs/history.html

So, those commit messages need to make sense to end users.

This is important because, as a project, we write very little
documentation. The only guide to what features are being added to the
project (other than reading the code) is those release notes. So,
those release notes need to be perfect.

Case in point, this change:
https://github.com/apache/calcite/commit/938614cca8c30ed9ff48996ff0ae42e1ed4f1706,
with message "Support hint option key as string literal"

As a SQL user I might happen to know that identifiers are unquoted or
enclosed in double quotes, and a string literal is always enclosed in
single quotes. Does this change mean that hint keys must now always be
enclosed in single quotes? I don't know.

Maybe the message should be "Allow hint keys to be quoted". And
include an example in the JIRA case.

I've said several times that if a change can be described in terms of
SQL, describe it in terms of SQL. Not in terms of java classes. (Yes,
some changes are changes to non-SQL APIs, or are entirely internal, or
are refactorings. Different rules apply.)

And if you use SQL terms, capitalize them. Here's a good example:
"GROUP_ID returns wrong result".