This thread sums up the rationale:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b49639d926e64955cdca49aca1d2183f00812b54d2d5957499d39c9f%40%3Cdev.calcite.apache.org%3E

If someone commits to master during the release process we either have
to rebase master, do a merge commit, or have a release that is not a
direct ancestor of the master branch going forward. None of these is
particularly attractive. So we ask people to suspend commits.

(For fans of the CAP theorem: we choose consistency over availability.)