Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone, much appreciated.

As Danny mentioned, the amount of active committers is a problem that we
encounter quite often in the project. I am also rather busy this period
(both with work and family) and trying to help as much; unfortunately not
even close to how much I would like to. On the bright side, I do see some
motivated individuals who seem to be on the right track for committership.
Bringing new members should improve a bit the situation. Let's all do our
best to make this happen sooner rather than later (committers by reviewing
PRs and contributors by submitting high quality patches).

I don't know why I use passive voice so often; indeed active is far
superior.

Below you can find the updated version of the report based on your
suggestions.

Apache Calcite is a highly customizable framework for parsing and planning
queries on data in a wide variety of formats. It allows database-like
access,
and in particular a SQL interface and advanced query optimization, for data
not residing in a traditional database.

Avatica is a sub-project within Calcite and provides a framework for
building
local and remote JDBC and ODBC database drivers. Avatica has an independent
release schedule and its own repository.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Calcite was founded 2015-10-22 (4 years ago) There are currently 46
committers and 22 PMC members in this project. The Committer-to-PMC ratio is
roughly 2:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Haisheng Yuan on 2019-11-11.
- Feng Zhu was added as committer on 2020-02-29

## Project Activity:
Avatica 1.16.0 was released in the middle of December, including numerous
bug
fixes and security improvements while the build system has been migrated
from
Maven to gradle.

Calcite 1.22.0 was released at the beginning of March, including more than
250
resolved issues including long-awaited features such as support of SQL
hints,
important bug fixes in the core of the query planner, and many changes in
build and test infrastructure. This release was the biggest in the history
of
the project and one of the most complicated to pull out due to the big
number
of contributions.

Stamatis gave a talk about query planning and Calcite at the university of
Cergy-Pontoise, Paris, France, in March. The audience was not aware of the
existence of the project which shows that we should organize such events
more
often, at least in Europe, if we want to expand our community.

Finally, we were informed that the SuperSQL project by Tencent uses Calcite
in
order to provide a unified entrance to various data platforms such as RDBMS,
ElasticSearch, Hive, Flink, Spark, Presto, ClickHouse, etc.

## Community Health:

Activity levels on mailing lists (-8%), git (-24%) and JIRA (opened -20%,
closed
-30%) have decreased in the first quarter of 2020. Most of the big changes
 that started during the last quarter of 2019 (and initiated a lot of
 activity) have been finalized and incorporated in the release of Calcite
 1.22.0, making things calmer in the community. The big decrease of closed
 issues in JIRA may be explained by the frequency of releases that have
 slightly dropped. The number of active committers has also decreased the
past
 few months, with work and family constraints getting in the middle. To the
 above it is worth adding the period of holidays in December and January
that
 in general slows things down.

Following the decreased activity in the lists, git, and JIRA it is normal to
see the activity rates on pull requests drop (-20% opened, -31% closed) more
or less for the same reasons. Although our backlog keeps increasing (~174
open
pull requests), the community is very reactive commenting and reviewing
almost
every contribution. On the bright side, we continue to see promising
contributors who are on the right track for committership.