Vladimir,

A new user will probably be impacted more by the IDE experience.

Some IDEs do better at handling maven than gradle... For example I use
NetBeans, and things just work with maven.

In my experience, Maven is simply a more mature tool (use it since 2002), more
plugins, good IDE support, with more developers being fluent with it.

Gradle will add friction to contributors familiar with maven and unfamiliar
with gradle...

Hope it’s worth it...

--z