Attached below is a draft of this month's board report. I plan to submit it
on July 7. Please let me know if you have any additions or corrections.

Apache Calcite is a highly customizable framework for parsing and planning
queries on data in a wide variety of formats. It allows database-like
access,
and in particular a SQL interface and advanced query optimization, for data
not
residing in a traditional database.

Avatica is a sub-project within Calcite and provides a framework for
building
local and remote JDBC and ODBC database drivers. Avatica has an independent
release schedule and its own repository.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Calcite was founded 2015-10-22 (4 years ago)
There are currently 50 committers and 22 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 7:3.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Haisheng Yuan on 2019-11-11.
- Forward Xu was added as committer on 2020-04-28
- Xing Jin was added as committer on 2020-04-28
- Vineet Garg was added as committer on 2020-04-24
- Yanlin Wang was added as committer on 2020-04-28

## Project Activity:
Avatica 1.17.0 was released on 2020-06-22. It is a small routine release
that includes a
few dependency updates and bug fixes.

[Include Avatica Go if it is released on time]
Avatica Go 5.0.0 was released on 2020-07-XX. It is a major release of
Avatica Go with a number of improvements and a breaking change affecting
connection metadata. Worth mentioning the support for batching query string
parameters in the DSN allowing updates to the server to be executed once
Close() is called on the prepared statement.

Calcite 1.23.0 was released on 2020-05-23, including more than 100 resolved
issues. It includes many new futures such as an SQL dialect for ClickHouse
and SESSION/HOP table functions (particularly useful for queries on
streams), along with significant improvements to the optimizer reducing
optimization latency up to a factor of 50x for some complex queries.

[Do we have any talks or new adopters to put in the report?]

## Community Health:

issues@) with many interesting topics some very important for the future of
the project such as the redesign of the optimizer, modelling indexes, and a
big refactoring of the ruleset.

Regarding opened/resolved issues the things are rather balanced. We had a
slight decrease in new issues (-6% JIRA, -13% GitHub) counterbalanced by a
small increase in closed issues (+14% JIRA, +4% GitHub). Since we have a
large
backlog of PRs, the increased ratio of closed PRs/issues is a good sign.

Although the number of commits has slightly decreased in the past quarter
(-16%) we had more code contributors (+17%) among them some new faces which
is
very promising for the future of the project.