+1 for removing the final modifier for all the reasons mentioned so far.

Regarding CALCITE-4123, I find Ruben's justification convincing.
The majority of Enumerable operators (not only joins) are extensible (with
public/protected constructors) so it seems that EnumerableMergeJoin was the
only exception to this pattern.
Now if we want to keep these APIs internal it is another discussion and I
think it should consider all Enumerable operators so for the moment I am
fine with the current change.
The only question from my side is why it is necessary to extend
EnumerableMergeJoin in the first place but this is mostly from curiosity,
and to see if there are things that should be changed in the operator to
avoid such extensions.
Let's continue the discussion under the respective JIRA if necessary.

Best,
Stamatis