H Jason,
Calcite is a great Logical optimizer Framework that can be used to do very
sophisticated data federation and query rewriting.
But I don't think you want to use Calcite as it is to perform the physical
join between 2 big data systems.
To put it simply If you are using Calcite you need to make sure that the
join can be done in one single host and should fit in the heap of a single
JVM.
Since you can not modify spanner code, you are left with 2 options:
A/ doing the joining in Druid (small dimension to fact table join should
work well read about Druid Lookups)
B/ use another Big data system like Hive or Spark for Fact Fact joins

If you go with Druid here is a good PRs to read
https://github.com/apache/druid/pull/9648
https://github.com/apache/druid/pull/9294