Hi Louis,

It's true that we have neglected a bit curating the JIRA tasks for newbies.

My suggestion would be to have a look in recently created bugs with no
assignee that lead to an exception [1] and pick one that you understand the
most.
Usually it is easier to get started if there is a test case reproducing the
problem that leads to an exception.

Best,
Stamatis

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4401?jql=project%20%3Dcalcite%20and%20type%20%3D%20Bug%20and%20resolution%20is%20EMPTY%20and%20assignee%20%20IS%20EMPTY%20and%20text%20~%20Exception%20ORDER%20BY%20createdDate%20DESC