Hi Rui,

Thanks a lot for the interest! Here are some explanations that can
hopefully answer your question.

-- For concrete implementations for merge operator and delta query for
joins/aggregation, the paper adopts algorithms proposed in prior works.

You are correct, many prior works have proposed various ways of doing
incremental computation. For the relational operators, the standard ways to
implement delta queries have been well studied in the literature.
We don't have a comprehensive rule list written out, but the following are
some most relevant papers.
For joins and common relational operators: "Algebraic change propagation
for semijoin and outerjoin queries"
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/290593.290597
For aggregations: "Incremental maintenance of views with duplicates"
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/223784.223849

-- Those implementations can be customized but some common ones can be
offered within Calcite.

Exactly. We have implemented the standard delta computation algorithms for
most operators and they support both append-only and retractable delta.
These are rewriting rules that we can offer within Calcite.
Relating to the question above, we believe our rule implementation for such
standard algorithms are straightforward and the documentation can help
developers understand them.

Based on the need, the developers can customize the rules by building on
top of existing implementations, or implement new delta rules using an API
very similar to the existing one.
Moreover, we also implemented more advanced algorithms like outer-join-view
maintenance and higher-order view maintenance that the developer can choose
to enable/disable freely.

Best Regards,
Zuozhi Wang