Stamatis>a case where digest normalization is not desirable and
Stamatis>brings problems to a downstream project.

It looks more like a custom normalizer to me rather than "normalization is
not desirable".
If I read the problem right, the very same idea was #1 in CALCITE-2450:
<<For AND, OR, IN: put "simpler" nodes first>>.

The current "per rule" and "per rel" overhead is enormous, and it makes it
doubtful to use optimizer rules for shuffling predicate order.
It might be more efficient to have a consistent normalizer, so the rels
with different expression orders are not generated at all.

Vladimir