Sure, there’s a slot to hold the hints. But is there a benefit to keeping them
in the physical algebra? There is certainly a cost to storing them, propagating
them, fixing them up as we apply rules.

The main source of hints is formatted comments in the SQL. As we get further
from the SQL source and the AST, the benefit decreases.

Danny,

Were you envisioning hints being propagated into physical algebra? There’s no
explicit mention in
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mykz-w2t1Yw7CH6NjUWpWqCAf_6YNKxSc59gXafrNCs/edit

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mykz-w2t1Yw7CH6NjUWpWqCAf_6YNKxSc59gXafrNCs/edit>
 or https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-482