Master is a moving target. Apparently you are using a version of the
code from sometime in March. These links work better:

[1]
https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/796675c9b33e0461bc45a72780162d474a4b098b/core/src/main/java/org/apache/calcite/sql2rel/SqlToRelConverter.java#L2881

[2]
https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/796675c9b33e0461bc45a72780162d474a4b098b/core/src/main/java/org/apache/calcite/sql2rel/SqlToRelConverter.java#L6209

I don't know the exact cause of what you are seeing, but when you set
"expand=false" you are choosing a newer (and better) code path. We do
not have feature parity between the code paths. Nor do we write tests
for both code paths.

Some day I'd like to officially deprecate, then obsolete,
"expand=true". It is de facto deprecated because we put more effort
into the "expand=false" path.

Julian