Hi,

The jar is in the classpath, and I can run the java command that the
sqlline script runs directly, and I get the same error.

The following works in a test java program with the CLASSPATH set:

    conn =
       DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://localhost/ssb?" +
                                   "user=root");
I can create a resultset from a SELECT statement and fetch the results.

But this does not (throws ClassNotFound exception):
Class.forName("com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver").newInstance();
neither does
Class.forName("com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver").newInstance();

I am confused, because the JDBC connection works as long as I don't use
Class.forName.  I don't know how to figure out the name of the class that
is actually being used.  I'm sorry if this is silly, but I do not have much
java experience.  The MySQL documentation says to use
com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver:
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/connector-j/8.0/en/connector-j-usagenotes-connect-drivermanager.html

I suppose this is some kind of MySQL JDBC problem, so this may not be the
right mailing list, but if you have any suggestions before I start looking
elsewhere, I would appreciate it.