As I said in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4833
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4833>, the PR does not solve the
whole problem, in fact solves only a very special case of the problem, and
therefore we should not accept it.

Bug 4833 is valid. I’m sure that there are similar cases, such as

  SELECT t1.empid FROM emps t1 LEFT JOIN emps t2 ON (SELECT t2.empid + 1)<=100
  SELECT t1.empid FROM emps t1 LEFT JOIN emps t2 ON (SELECT t2.empid FROM
dept)<=100
  SELECT t1.empid FROM emps t1 LEFT JOIN emps t2 ON (SELECT MIN(deptno) FROM
dept WHERE deptno > t2.empid)<=100

that are caused by the bug and are not fixed by the PR. If a PR solves all such
cases we should accept it.

I encourage Calcite contributors to fix the bug or help Evgeny to fix the bug.

Julian