Hello,

I generally agree with the problems and goals set by CALCITE-4885 so
definitely worth pushing this forward.

I also like the ideas for being compatible with JUnit5 extensions etc., but
I guess it could be something to address later one and does not need to be
part of CALCITE-4885.
If and when somebody comes with a concrete proposal we can evaluate this.

Same reasoning goes for AssertJ; it may be beneficial for the project but
let's evaluate it separately.

If I understand well, both AssertJ and extensions via JUnit5 may come in
conflict with the new APIs exposed by CALCITE-4885 so it would be nice if
we can advance all these in the same release.

Last I wanted to mention that although people consuming Calcite releases
may not care much about big changes in the testing code, those who maintain
forks of the main repo will have a few more challenges to address when they
cherry-pick changes.
This is not an argument to push back the feature but just an additional
element for completing the picture.

Best,
Stamatis