Hi, community.

Recently, when I tried to fix bugs in Elasticsearch Adapter, I’ve found that
some new features in released Elasticsearch cannot be applied in Calcite, since
the Elasticsearch version in Calcite is 7.0.1.

For instance, as CALCITE-4868 mentioned, I want to sort aggregation results by
multi_terms(supported after ES 7.1.11) as it’s more suitable under such
circumstances than terms aggregation, however the DSL is not supported in
Calcite currently.

Moreover, I've browsed Elasticsearch's release notes roughly, and there are
many new SQL features were added from 7.0.1 to 7.15.2, and lots of bugs were
fixed meanwhile(if needed, I will spend some time to collect such info that
benefits Calcite users).

Since we use RestClient in Elasticsearch Adapter, there are still some cons
about upgrading ES version, like new DSL couldn’t be used in old version
Elasticsearch cluster, current use case might need to be adjusted.

Nevertheless, I’m still wondering if we can upgrade the Elasticsearch version
to 7.15, which could enrich ES Adapter's ablility as much as possible.

Best regards,
Zhe Hu