For what it’s worth, I actually prefer JIRA’s workflow model. I strongly
believe that people should log a JIRA case before starting work on a bug or
feature. Then discussion can happen before coding starts.

And I like making holistic reviews - reviewing the whole change, its goals, its
impact, and what’s missing - rather than reviewing line by line.

GitHub makes it easy to review line by line, but you can then miss the
important stuff.

GitHub also makes it easy to write code, submit it as a PR, and that PR becomes
the issue.

Lastly, another quibble about GitHub: that it allows people to squash, rebase
and amend commits. The line-by-line comments quickly go out of date.

As to the backlog of PRs. There are multiple problems and solutions. The main
one is that reviewing PRs quite simply takes work. We need more people to spend
more time reviewing PRs. We have solved the problem for RMs - people volunteer,
and put in the effort, and there is a rota so that no one person is doing all
the work.

Julian