You’re right, those 3 examples don’t look great. They all seem to be caused by
Jekyll’s code block (back-ticks), e.g.
https://github.com/apache/calcite/blame/cbda134d8e75a8a5c63a1aa9bcddab6fc6756021/site/_docs/howto.md#L73

<https://github.com/apache/calcite/blame/cbda134d8e75a8a5c63a1aa9bcddab6fc6756021/site/_docs/howto.md#L73>.

Does anyone who knows a bit more Jekyll or CSS than me (not a very high bar!)
have any ideas how to make this better? Maybe make the code font one or two
points smaller? Insert optional line-breaks in long strings?

Julian