In my opinion, before starting the release process for version X, the
release manager should take a look at Jira and find any tickets with
fixVersion=X which are not resolved, and then act on a case by case basis,
I guess starting a discussion on each ticket comments (so that everything
is logged) with the reporter or any other contributor which may have done
some work on it:
- If the ticket is considered as a "Blocker", the release process shall
wait until it is done.
- If the ticket is not a blocker:
-- If it is reasonable to assume that it can be part of the next (X+1)
release (e.g. because work has started already, just some elements are left
to be done etc.), the fixVersion can be changed into X+1.
-- Otherwise its fixVersion shall be cleared ("unassigned").

Similarly, to avoid reaching that point, when creating a new ticket we
should only assign a fixVersion if it is either a blocking issue or if we
are reasonably confident that the work will be done for said release.

Best regards,
Ruben