+1 to Stamatis’ idea. It won’t make things worse. :)

But to repeat what I said earlier. We need existing committers to pull their
weight. If necessary, committers need to talk to their managers and get time
allocated to contribute to “housekeeping”.

One important kind of housekeeping is productization. That means not just
getting features and bug fixes into Calcite, but adding sufficient
documentation that users know they exist and how to use them. You may have
noticed that I spend a lot of effort asking people to improve the subject and
description of JIRA cases, and making sure that the commit message matches the
JIRA subject. I do this because usually the only documentation of a feature is
the line in the release notes and the JIRA case it links to.

This effort is key to Calcite’s success, and quite a few committers don’t do
it. If committers did a better job in this area, it would reduce the workload
on me.

Julian