I see there's a recent commit which references this:
[CALCITE-4864] Supports Polymorphic Table function - ASF JIRA (apache.org)
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4864>

Something Teiid [0] did was to use JSON_TABLE() from dynamic data at
runtime.

I had an opportunity to speak to the maintainers, and they said this was a
key strategy in writing adapters
for non-relational sources like Couchbase, MongoDB, and the Salesforce API,
etc.

If I am understanding correctly, does this new polymorphic table
functionality unlock the
ability to have Calcite consume runtime data and use it with table-valued
functions?

If so, that's huge! Would love to whip up a demo of an HTTP request UDF
that does a JSON_TABLE on the output.

If not, I'd still love to learn what this functionality is all about and
what you might do with it =)

----

[0]: teiid/teiid: Teiid is a data virtualization system that allows
applications to use data from multiple, heterogenous data stores.
(github.com) <https://github.com/teiid/teiid>