Thank you, everyone for your thoughts so far. (And let's keep talking!)

I don't yet see a full, perfect solution. But I see a number of
techniques/tools we can use. For example, I was not aware of
testContainers but it seems to very quickly address our most common
use cases (MySQL + Postgres). Also, while I like Quidem it probably
should not be our first solution to this problem.

I have two concerns about testContainers:
1. it makes our test suite heavier: it adds latency, memory
requirements, flakiness, and the requirement for Docker;
2. it doesn't solve other important dialects, such as BigQuery.

To solve (1), we could add the tests to an optional module, such as
'plus'. To solve (2) we need to provide another way to get a
connection to a reference database. (We need that for the other huge
project, the converse of this project, to test whether Calcite's
generated SQL is compliant [1].)

I think we should start by merging Stamatis' PR into the 'plus'
module, and add some tests for CONCAT, which we have already
implemented, and has different behaviors in MySQL, Postgres, Oracle
[2][3]. Let's enable that test in CI and make sure that it doesn't
introduce flakiness.

Next, we could make that test invoke tests that are already defined in
SqlOperatorTest, in addition to/instead of, the CSV data in Stamatis'
PR.

Next, devise a way to test against Spark SQL and BigQuery, and check
our implementation of SOUNDEX (different in Spark than
Postgres/Oracle) and SUBSTR/SUBSTRING (different on Postgres/BigQuery)
[4].

After that, Quidem, somehow.

Julian

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-5529