Hey there -

I've found my way here via Measures in SQL
<https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3626246.3653374>. I'm a long time
admirer of Calcite, but I'm not very familiar with internals - apologies if
I stumble.

I work on Airbnb's Minerva
<https://medium.com/airbnb-engineering/how-airbnb-achieved-metric-consistency-at-scale-f23cc53dea70>
project,
an internal semantic layer for star schemas. Measures in SQL is a
wonderfully elegant idea, and I've started exploring if we can introduce
them to our system.

However, our users often write queries that span multiple tables/stars,
requiring a drill across operation. Our system handles this by exposing a
virtual table that pretends as if our entire semantic layer is a single,
wide fact table. Incompatible measure/dimension combinations result in
runtime errors.

This need feels pretty common and a logical extension to some of Measures'
strengths - making SQL more powerful and expressive for "top down" queries.

I'm curious - are there plans to support measures that span multiple tables
in Calcite?

- Barak