L.S.,

Guillaume's suggestion is to create a separate JAR with the OSGi
helper bits and embed that in both camel-blueprint and camel-spring.
I don't think there's a real problem with a compile-time dependency,
as long as we mark the Maven dependency optional in the pom.xml  -- we
just have to make sure that we don't use the OSGi specific classes
when running in a non-OSGi environment and then we should be fine
there, shouldn't we?

I suppose the goal is to look for Camel bundles and register
components, converters, languages, ... in the OSGi Service Registry so
we can respond to changes in the environment for our Blueprint and
Spring DM deployed routes.  For example: for camel-blueprint, we could
set-up a component/converter/... locator class in an
OSGI-INF/blueprint/camel.xml file which would only get started in an
OSGi- and Blueprint-aware container to avoid the tight link.  I'm not
entirely sure about META-INF/spring/*.xml for camel-spring, but I
don't think that will get automatically picked up in a non-spring-dm
environment either.

One other question: shouldn't we consider to build support for
deploying Camel in a pure OSGi environment as well (like an embedded
environment or inside Eclipse) without requiring the use of either
Spring DM or Blueprint (although the latter is probably lightweight
enough to be installed in almost any environment) -- e.g. have a
ServiceTracker to track RouteBuilder instances in the OSGi Service
Registry and have a means of auto-starting them (e.g. by adding some
property when registering the service)?

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
Open Source SOA: http://fusesource.com