On Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:45:42 PM Christian Müller wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I love to see as we asking our users to be more involved with our project.

+1

> I would like to add the label "Contributor" or "Beginner" (or something
> similar) to issues which are easy to be resolve (by interested
> users/customers).

In CXF, we have a custom "Estimated Complexity" field on the issues.   I went
ahead and added that field to the Camel project for now for you to take a
look.  We can always remove it if you prefer a label approach.  :-)

> We should not fix these issues so soon (unless it's an
> urgent fix) to get the users/customers the chance to pick them up, adding a
> comment that other knows they are working on this issue and providing a
> patch for it. I could create a view in JIRA which lists all open issues with
> this label and add a link from the contributing page [1] to this view. I
> think then it is much more easier for our users/customers to "being more in
> touch" with our project and evolve from a user to a contributor to ...
>
> I know what this is for a great feeling to see its own (first) patch
> committed, to add his name to the team page [2] later, ...
>
> What do you think?

I'm COMPLETELY in support of this.   From experience, it's extremely hard to
"learn" though and will take a conscious effort, especially from the code
leaders of a project.   I know in CXF, it took me a LONG time to learn to not
just fix things immediately and instead say "Good idea, care to submit a
patch?"   In general, I had to force myself into a mode of letting things sit
a bit.   A week or so before a release, I'll run through things that have been
sitting and fix any "low hanging" things real quick just to get the fixes in
and keep the bug count down, but I definitely try to ask for patches a LOT
more often than I used to.  At this point, I consider it a good day if I spend
more time reviewing and applying patches than fixing issues.   That's a good
thing.  :-)    Yes, in many cases, it probably takes less time for me to just
fix the issue than to help someone, review a patch, etc....   However, it's
better for the community.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp