On Thursday, May 10, 2012 07:42:28 PM Babak Vahdat wrote:
> Am 10.05.12 16:41 schrieb "Claus Ibsen" unter <claus.ib...@gmail.com>:
> >On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> >> Not sure about this commit....
> >>
> >> This commit would make this area of the code NOT work at all with CXF
> >>2.5.x
> >> and older.  I'm personally OK with that since 2.10 is primarily tested
> >>with
> >> 2.6, but I'm not sure if that's the ideal situation.   If it is, then
> >>the
> >> OSGi import ranges for CXF need updating as well to reflect that.
> >
> >Yeah if we can support both CXF 2.5 and 2.6 at the same time in Camel
> >2.10 then that would be great.
>
> I don't really agree on this!
>
> How can we *seriously* claim that? Who does on a regular basis do run the
> tests against both the CXF versions X & X+1 after each change by this
> component
> to make sure we're compatible with the both versions. The release notes
> says on
> which *exact* version of CXF this release (Camel 2.10) is based on.

In the integration space, we kind of have to expect and support various
levels of integration with various technologies.   Different users will be
trying to integrate with different versions of things and may have different
requirements about when they can "upgrade" certain things.  If it's POSSIBLE
to make that easier for them without too much trouble, that's likely not a
bad thing.  In some cases, we can provide support and testing out of the
box.  In other cases, we need to rely on the community to help us with that.
It's quite possible that a user needs to upgrade to 2.10 for a particular
new component, but cannot upgrade to CXF 2.6 yet due to some of the
migration issues involved with that.  (see the migration guide:
http://cxf.apache.org/docs/26-migration-guide.html )

In this particular scenario, it kind of works both ways.  As an example,
Camel 2.9.2 "out of the box" uses CXF 2.5.x as 2.5.x was the version that
was available and promoted when the 2.9.x branch was started.   However, I
KNOW Talend spent a ton of resources and time to make sure 2.9.2 was
extremely well tested with CXF 2.6.0.   For *OUR* users and customers, it
made sense to have Camel 2.9.x and CXF 2.6.0 together so we spent quite a
bit time testing that scenario.  (another side effect of that was to make
sure CXF 2.6.0 is quite back words compatible and migration issues were well
document and thus helped the CXF community)   So just because a particular
version of Camel uses a particular version of CXF doesn't mean we should
lock out others unless it makes sense to do so.

Anyway, thanks for reverting that.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp