On Wed, Jul 5, 2023 at 10:20 AM Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> What is the reason for the bump of the version (besides aligning to a
> Quarkus version)?
> Is this intended for Camel K 1.x or whats the need for this release?

Hi Claus,
this version will be required by Camel K version 2 only. As I mentioned
earlier, we've worked to decouple the release process, as Camel K will be
able to run any Camel K runtime > 1.15.0 starting from version 2. The idea
is that this runtime version will be the default one we'll use for incoming
Camel K version 2 release, so, in order to use a final runtime release, we
need this release process to start before.

Once the vote passes and the release is confirmed we'll be able to start
the release process for Camel K 2.0. Any future Camel K runtime (ie,
version 3, once Camel Quarkus is available) should be able to be run by
Camel K 2 without the need to release the operator (it should be forward
compatible). The trick will be to use `-t camel.runtime-version=3.0.0` and
the operator will build a dynamic catalog which will take care of all
building aspects.

For this reason, in the future I'll expect that we will release the Camel K
Runtime always independently from the Camel K Operator project. We have
also started some discussion to understand if/how to include it in Camel
Quarkus directly, but, for the time being, we'll proceed with a separate
release, right after Camel Quarkus is released.

Hope it clarifies.

Cheers,
Pasquale.