I have only used the modified sources.list approach to make apt-get work. In my
case the only java running on the resulting ubuntu 9.1 karmic koala instance
was to support Cassandra.

What would the preferred best practice be? For example, would it be to have the
*.jar files be placed in a private Cassandra specific directory and classpath
pointing to that?

A related concern that I have with this approach is that it pulls the openjdk
version. Yet, recommended best practice from folks who've been running
Cassandra for awhile is to use the Sun jvm. I understand the reason to prefer
the non-Sun/Oracle option from a packaging perspective ... but when advice is
given to "of course use the Sun JDK..." I do wonder.

From my perspective, I don't care where things end up. I simply want to be able
to something like the following:

apt-get update

And then one of the following:

apt-get install cassandra_0_6_2_open_jdk_XX
apt-get install cassandra_0_6_3_open_jdk_XX
apt-get install cassandra_0_6_3_sun_jdk_XX
apt-get install cassandra_latest_sun_jdk_XX
etc...

I'd like similar options for yum for CentOS.

Given the relatively fast moving changes with Cassandra, being able to install
a specific version is very important to me.

-phil