On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 11:43 -0400, Phil Stanhope wrote:
> Has there been any benchmarking done on thrift vs avro bindings in 0.7
> codebase?

No, it's kinda early for that.  First priority IMO is to reach feature
parity with the thrift side, and then get comprehensive functional tests
to make sure that it's stable and stays that way.

That's not to say that I'd get in the way of anyone that wanted to work
on this (to the contrary in fact), just trying to convey why it has been
done (by me anyway) yet.

Some of us are meeting a co-working facility in Austin on Wednesday to
burn through as much as possible, hopefully we can get far enough to
start working on performance evaluation.

> If one was about to bring into alpha production in the Jan 2011
> timeframe, would going with avro be recommended?

We're going to need people to test, so I wouldn't want to be too
discouraging.  But, from a don't-count-your-chickens standpoint, I
wouldn't recommend it, no.

--
Eric Evans
eev...@rackspace.com